On March 24, 2018, iCON (the interCultural Online Health Network) hosted a free Chinese Health forum entitled Healthy @ Home: Living Well with Chronic Conditions. This forum expanded on the theme of healthy aging to promote chronic disease management, healthy living, and community support services.
Healthy @ Home
As the population ages, people are at greater risk for developing chronic conditions such as diabetes and high blood pressure, making them vulnerable to developing dementia, as well as other mental health issues in their senior years. Living with these illnesses can be debilitating and significantly impact quality of life. However, by developing good habits, these conditions can be well-managed and good health can still be achieved.
The free Chinese health forum was delivered in Cantonese with simultaneous interpretation in Mandarin and English. Health experts from the community will educate on diabetes, hypertension, dementia, and mental wellness including anxiety and depression. The forum will highlight strategies and best practices for managing these chronic conditions at home through nutrition, medication management, stress reduction, exercise, and more. In addition, the forum will feature the opportunity to ask questions to the experts, health exhibitions, resources and community support programs.
|When:||Saturday, March 24, 2018 from 10:30am – 4:00pm|
|10:30am – 12:00pm||Open House featuring health information booths,|
|demonstrations, community resources and|
|12:00pm – 4:00pm||Health Forum featuring panel discussions with|
|Where:||Jewish Community Centre, 950 W 41st Avenue, Vancouver, BC, V5Z 2N7|
|Who:||Seniors and their families, caregivers – everyone is welcome!|
|Cost:||Free admission, light refreshments will be served|
|Language:||Cantonese with simultaneous interpretation in Mandarin and English|
Our team of health experts shared the latest information on:
- Managing hypertension for seniors
- Mental wellness, anxiety and depression, and stress management
- Key differences between healthy aging and dementia, and tips and services for people diagnosed with dementia and their families
- Lifestyle management including nutrition, medication, exercise, and other self-care recommendations for individuals diagnosed with diabetes
- Caregiver strategies to support aging family members while maintaining own health and wellness
- How to access community supports and services, and digital resources for both seniors and loved ones
Email us at email@example.com
If you are posting on Facebook, Twitter, or other social media platforms, please use the hashtags: #digEM, #iCONforum